Batool Barody is a Master student pursuing Global Affairs at the University of Toronto. She is currently serving on the MP Karina Gould Youth Council and at the Students and Young Professional Network where she helps individuals interested in global health research to expand their knowledge and expertise. She did her undergrad at York University where she graduated First Class with Distinction. Batool served as a delegate at the International Relations Student Association where she represented York University in different Model United Nations in Canada including McGill University, McMaster University, and Harvard World Model United Nations where she worked with youth delegations from all over the world to tackle several global issues. She won the Book Award at McMaster University Model United Nation for the best research done during the conference. She was selected to serve as the Canadian Youth Delegate at the Open Government Partnership Global Summit 2019 in Ottawa, where she worked with an international team to draft policies that encourage youth participation in open governments. Batool received a certificate of appreciation from the Canadian Minister of Immigration, Hon. Ahmed D. Hussen due to her extensive involvement in her community where she helps refugees and newcomers adjust to their new life in Canada. Batool is interested in several issues in Canadian politics including the engagement of youth in politics, government spending on healthcare, gender equality, the Canadian involvement at the United Nations in addition to immigration and refugees’ policies.
Strategic leader with negotiation experience across multiple International Relations Organizations and Political campaigns. Excellent track record of solving problems through research-driven strategies. Excels in strategic planning and execution toward measurable results. Sophisticated aspiring Global Affairs Master Student; thrives on managing goal-focused, mission-oriented teams
University of Toronto (2019-Present)
Munk School of Global Affairs and Public Policy (Master’s degree)
York University (2016-2019)
Honours Biomedical and Health Studies (Bachelor’s degree)
(First Class with Distinction)
Chair of Appeal (10/2019-Present)
Graduate Students’ Union (UTGSU), University of Toronto
• Chairing meetings of the Board of Appeal, creating its agendas,
preparing all relevant documentation for issues before the
Board; and serving as spokesperson for the Board.
Research Assistant (10/2019-Present)
University of Toronto
• Collecting data, working with several departments to analyze
data using several research methodologies, in addition to writing
summaries and reports.
Leadership Counsellor (06/2019-09/2019)
The YMCA of Oakville
• Developing unique leadership programs, working with youth to
develop leadership skills in addition to striving towards
innovative ideas that will leave a legacy at the camp.
Research Student (06/2017-09-2017)
The Population Health Research Institute
• Reviewing data and confirming integrity; preparing the research data to allow for statistical analysis and reporting for the PURE study which involves more than 25 countries.
Board Member of the MP Karina Gould’s Youth Council (11/2019-Present) (Burlington, ON)
• Representing the Youth community in Burlington and bringing their concerns to the table.
Director of Finance (10/2019-Present)
Master of Global Affairs Intersectional Feminist Collective (Toronto, ON)
• Combing operational and strategic roles in managing accounting and financial control functions, overseeing all financial activities, preparing the budget, and improving
financial processes of the collective. Canadian Youth Delegate (May 2019) Open Government Partnership Global Summit in Ottawa
• Creatively working with a team of 15 international youth delegates to draft policies that engage youth in open governments, in addition to the publication of
the Youth Collective Declaration and Power Plan.
York University Delegate at Module United Nations (09/2018 – 04/2019)
• Representing York University in national and international model UN conferences, including McGill, Ryerson, McMaster and Harvard World Model United
Nations in Spain.
• Drafting resolutions and exercising strong communication, debating, and negotiation skills.
President of CCGHR Student Chapter and SYP Network
Advisor Canadian Coalition for Global Health Research
Student Chapter at York University (09/2017 –Present)
• Working with several teams to raise awareness about global health research across undergraduate students, representing YorkU in the Young Professional Summit in Ottawa where I delivered an open space session about global health and refugees, also representing YorkU in the CCGHR 5th Annual Forum at McMaster University, exercising professionalism and leadership skills, demonstrating a high level of responsibility and reliability.
• Promoted to Student and Young professional network (SYPN) support executive to support ten CCGHR student chapters across Canada.
Master’s Degree Entrance Scholarship, $5,000, University of Toronto June 2019
York International Mobility Award, $750, York University March 2019
Book Award, McMaster University Model United Nations Conference February 2019
York University Continuing Student Scholarship, $2500, York University 2018 & 2017
Volunteered for more than 250 hours at the emergency department, cardiology clinic, and the Elder life program at Joseph Brant Hospital, and
Toronto General Hospital, respectively.
MP Karina Gould re-election campaign,
Youth delegate represents Steven Del
Duca in the Ontario’s Liberal Party
Leadership Elections, Sam Jisri campaign
for Mississauga City Councils’ Elections.
Tutoring first year university students at
York University, leadership coach for
youth ranging from 10-15 years at the
YMCA of Oakville.
Care Team Leader and organizer of Being
ME, an annual women conference.
Volunteering / Interests